We commonly confuse the terms Oracle and Oracle DBA. Though these are interchangeable terms but they are different in several aspects. So, if you are planning to pursue Oracle course or Oracle DBA course this article would prove handy to you.
DBA is an acronym that stands for database administrator. The person is responsible for managing the tasks related to the database it includes maintenance, optimization and recovery of database. All these works are included in the job profile of a database administrator.
On the other hand, Oracle developer has extensive knowledge of database and is responsible to create different applications using Oracle technologies.
2 Focus of work
DBA- The candidate is responsible for monitoring and maintenance of database.
Developer- the candidate focus area is development. The candidate has to do coding.
DBA- as a DBA manager your responsibilities will be streamlined and it will include
- Understanding the needs and desires of the users and monitor their preferences.
- The Overall security of the database
- To monitor and check the parameters of database
- To take care of the storage related needs
- To maintain documentation related to database management
- To update the database on the regular intervals
- To ensure the data is true to the knowledge.
- To provide permission and privileges to the concerned user
- To create data backup as and when required.
- To create recovery plans in case of data mishap.
Oracle developer- as a developer the duty is wide and it includes
- Creating design and development of oracle applications according to the needs of the project
- Coding the Oracle system so that it is up-to the desired standard/
- Understand the project needs and requirements and suggest improvements if needed
- Provide technical expertise to developers
- Understand the client project requirements and troubleshoot the errors.
- Create reports and UNIX shell scripts
- Modify the existing codes and optimizing applications.
- Train Oracle developer and hone their programming skills.
DBA- The candidate needs to come in touch with the client. He works as a production manager, who is responsible to create database as per the order of oracle Developer.
Oracle developer-His work is challenging though he doesn’t come in a direct contact with the clients.
Oracle is one of the complex databases and any kind of oracle certification need a high level of expertise. Oracle developer needs to have a thorough knowledge of Oracle database and his work includes creating an application using this technology. He has to design certain applications thinking about customer requirements. He/she needs to be abreast of SQL, PL/SQL and should have the ability to develop applications using form builder and report builder. He/she should be able to create front end applications and reports. The role and responsibility of Oracle developer are wide as compared to DBA. So, whatever position you are applying for it is important to get Oracle certification. This certification will increase your chances of success.